How you decide to warm up and cool down can significantly affect your results and increase chance of injuries.
- If you avoid either your warm-up (stretch) or cool down (stretch), you increase
your risk of pulling a muscle or tearing muscle tendons more easily.
- It can also lead to major postural issues later on in life.
- As a rule of thumb, before a work out you should do something dynamic to mimic some of the movements you will be performing during your sport or resistance training program.
- If you feel you must stretch before hand, hold the stretch no longer then ten seconds.
- Holding the stretch longer then that and you risk the chance of losing some power and strength.
- However after you are finished your sport/resistance program then holding a stretch for 30 or more seconds is best.
Each meal should have a balance of lean proteins and low glycemic carbohydrates.
- When you eat just high glycemic carbohydrates with little or no protein, your blood sugars spike up will crash even lower then it was prior to eating.
- This can cause your body to store a big part of these calories as fat.
- By adding lean proteins your body will slowly release glucose into your blood stream. Therefore, not getting the high blood sugar spike and crash.
**This reduces the chance for increased body fat and other health issues.
Examples of low glycemic carbohydrates are: berries & green leafy vegetables.
- Men and women share different physiology when it comes to building muscle mass.
- Men have a greater amount of testosterone, helping to maintain and build mass more easily.
- Men also tend to train differently then women.Their goals are usually very different, and they do heavy weights and low repetitions, where as women do the opposite.
FACT: There is great benefit for men and women to lift weights to burn calories.
- One pound of subcutaneous body fat will burn approximately 1-2 calories per day just to sustain itself (ie. performing daily activities, work etc.).
- One pound of lean muscle will burn 10-15 calories per day to sustain itself.
*As you can see it pays to build lean muscle to help you achieve the fit healthy body you have always wanted.
Winnipeg personal trainer